Back by popular demand, the Video Association of Dallas announced today EXPANDED CINEMA returns to kick off the 26th installment of the Dallas VideoFest (VideoFest.org).
Generously supported and simulcast, as it was in 2012, on KXT 91.7 FM, EXPANDED CINEMA: MultipliCity, will again dance along the exterior walls of the Downtown Dallas Omni Hotel for one evening on Friday, October 4, 2013 with a special start time of 8 pm. For more info go to: facebook.com/ExpandedCinema
“With KXT radio, once again, broadcasting the soundtrack in sync with the images on the Omni, anywhere you can see the hotel in the city, you will have the full, rich experience by simply turning on your radio to 91.7 FM,” said Bart Weiss, founder Video Association of Dallas and artistic director, Dallas VideoFest.
Public Watching Party details:
Fri., Oct 4, 2013
8 pm (arrive early as the show starts right at 8 pm)
Hickory House Barbecue, 600 S Industrial Blvd., Dallas, TX 75207
The Texas Theatre, 231 W Jefferson Blvd., Dallas, TX 75208
Curator Mona Kasra (MonaKasra.com) of Dallas says of EXPANDED CINEMA:
“The 21st-century, urban life resembles a fragmented, complex tapestry, made up of multiplicity of the lived experiences, imaginings, visions, and memories of past experiences. The city itself serves as a complex canvas depicting a diverse range of relationships, architectures, cultures, and backgrounds, enabling city dwellers to build multilayered narratives within their urban surroundings. Inspired by the richness of the urban life, participating artists in ‘EXPANDED CINEMA: MultipliCity' reflect on their perceptions of the city, both in terms of its diversity and wholeness.”
EXPANDED CINEMA: MultipliCity, the largest canvas in Dallas – the four curved, exterior walls of the Omni Hotel – will feature new video artworks by media artists:
1. Morehshin Allahyari (Dallas—Morehshin.com) with sound collaborator Andrew Blanton
2. Michele Jaquis (Los Angeles, CA—MicheleJaquis.com)
3. Kyle Kondas (Dallas—UTDallas.edu/atec/Kondas)
4. Jonathan Monaghan (Brooklyn, NY—JonMonaghan.com) with music collaborator: Evan Samek
5. Mike Morris (Dallas—MichaelAlexanderMorris.com)
6. Luke Savisky (Austin, TX—LukeSavisky.com) with collaborators David Bartner, video editing and Paige Swift, production manager
7. Nina Schawanse (New Orleans, LA—NinaSchwanse.com)
8. Kelly Sears (Los Angeles, CA—KellySears.com)
9. Carolyn Sortor (Dallas—c-cyte.com)
10. Jenny Vogel (New York, NY—JennyVogel.net) with sound editing collaborator Andrew Blanton
11. Bart Weiss (Dallas—BartWeiss.com) with collaborators Mark Clive, graphic support and Micah Hayes, music
12. Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Art’s students Christian Salinas and Kyra-Michelle Jacobs with faculty advisor, Niloo Jalilvand (Dallas—DallasISD.org/BookerT)
Audio will be simulcast on KXT 91.7 FM radio.
“In our second year, the artists have a more sophisticated and nuanced take on using the Omni walls by broadening that canvas out beyond its borders will, in essence, expand Expanded Cinema. I’m honored to be among such a talented group with my own piece this year,” Weiss concluded.